Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The (Almost) Café Rio Salad

Pork:
4 lbs pork roast
4 (8oz) cans tomato sauce
3 tsp. pressed garlic
3 cups brown sugar
4 tsp. cumin
4 cups Dr. Pepper
4 T. molasses
1 tsp. salt
pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker or crock-pot, cover and cook for 10 hrs on LOW or 5 hrs on HIGH. Baste as needed. When pork is cooked, remove and shred with forks to serve. Add back in some juice for extra flavor on pork and salad to liking.

Lime Rice:
2 T. butter
1 1/4 cup rice
2 1/4 cup chicken broth
3/4 tsp. salt
pepper
juice and zest of 1 large or 2 small limes
2 T. finely chopped cilantro
1/4 tsp. cumin

In cooking pot, melt butter with rice, then add liquid and other ingredients. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes.

Cafe Rio Salsa Ranch-Jaymas recipe
1pkg dry hidden Valley Ranch mix
1c. butter milk ( I just added vinager to reg. milk)
1c.mayo
2 Tomatillos peeled (paper skin and outer skin)
(I found these at Smiths by the green peppers and jalapenos They probably have them at other stores to)
1 clove garlic minced
1/3 bunch cilantro chopped
1/2 tsp. lime juice
1 sm. jalapeno
Mix in Blender

Other basic salad ingredients:
Chopped lettuce
Black beans
Pico de gallo/salsa
Guacamole

Shredded cheese
Tortilla chips
Cilantro
Limes

2 comments:

Cecily said...

I made this for dinner tonight, and it was delicious beyond description. Thanks so much for the recipe!

Gina and John Zarate Family said...

I have tried one very similar that was awesome. I loved the lime cilantro rice. In the recipe I tried it has sugar in it. I liked the sound of the dressing on yours better I am going to try it out also the pork on my recipe was simpler but this one sounds yummier! THanks for the recipe!