Friday, March 6, 2009

Chimichangas/Burritos??

Lately I've been in the mood to cook ahead & freeze. In my searching I found this blog with this recipe. This is almost like burritos that I make that are a family fave, but I've never thought of freezing them because they don't last long enough. We tried these tonight and it was really easy, good & just the single batch was enough for dinner tonight and freeze enough for another meal :).

1 lb. of cooked hamburger
16 oz. of Salsa1
16oz can of Refried
package of taco seasoning mix
16- 8" flour tortillas
4 cups of shredded cheddar cheese

First, in a pan add beef, salsa beans and taco seasoning. Cook until heated thoroughly, stirring often. Next, spray a non-stick skillet and then heat on medium-low heat. One at a time, put the tortillas in the skillet, heating for about 30 seconds on each side. (I did this, but don't know if I'd do it again, I think it makes them crunchy & I'm not a big fan?)

Once the shells are heated, place each of them on their own individual small square of tin foil. Next add some of the meat mixture in the middle. Top with a small amount of cheese.Then, fold in the sides and the ends to basically seal the meat/cheese mixture inside. Place the folded tortilla at the end of the tin foil and roll it up in the tin foil, folding over each end. Place each of these individual chimichangas into one large Ziploc bag that's dated and labeled. You should be able to get at least 16 chimichangas out of the recipe.

When you are ready to eat these, throw them on a cookie sheet in the tin foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. No need to thaw them in advance.

(I LOVE meals that you can just throw in the oven with NO THAWING.. we all have days where we forget about dinner until 5oclock.. That's to late for thawing)

1 comments:

Nater said...

Sis you're awesome!!!! I haven't come here for a while but I'm so glad that you're still going strong because I always love new recipes!!!